I think that those who continue saying how behind the USA is in energy development really need to take a look around at all of the projects that are planned or in development stages. We are not the leader in electricity from renewables because we are still #1, #2 and #3 in coal, natural gas, and oil production, respectively, so we have not needed to move to renewables for electricity production like smaller countries with fewer reserves, but in spite of this there are 2 large solar projects planned in California and numerous wind projects across the midwest, so I don’t think we are so far behind like many people seem to suggest.
- Bay Area Startups Raise $334 Million in First Two Weeks of 2012
- Poor Refinery Capacity in Latin America is Good for the USA for Now
- Thoughts on Steve Jobs’ impact on Apple and the long term future of the company
- Nostalgiac for the 50s and 60s: The Era of High Taxes in America and High Economic Growth
- Look at the Private Sector for US Energy Plans
- A Pairs Trade: Long Old Mutual and Short Sanlam - BizNews September 30, 2014BizNewsA Pairs Trade: Long Old Mutual and Short SanlamBizNewsAlthough both companies are trading on a similar PE ratio of 14 (always a good point of departure for a pairs trade), but they have been rated quite differently by the market in terms of group equity value or embedded value (GEV). Historically, the market has ...
- A Pairs Trade: Long Old Mutual and Short Sanlam - BizNews September 30, 2014
- Looking Under the Hood of Alternative Bond Funds - ThinkAdvisor October 24, 2014ThinkAdvisorLooking Under the Hood of Alternative Bond FundsThinkAdvisorThe Forward Credit Analysis Long/Short Fund (FLSIX) focuses on municipal bonds, which accounted for close to 80% of the portfolio as of Sept. 30. Short-term securities (13%) and corporate bonds (7.4%) comprise the balance, with a ... The fund then uses multiple uncorrelated alpha-generat […]
- Soc Gen 'Hedge Funds Left Naked By Market Correction' - ValueWalk October 24, 2014ValueWalkSoc Gen 'Hedge Funds Left Naked By Market Correction'ValueWalkIt might seem odd that Societe Generale's latest Hedge Fund report decries the lack of performance in hedge funds when a category it should be intimately familiar with, managed futures, continues to perform during crisis. The report titled 'Hedge Funds Left ...and more […]
- Short-biased credit fund launched - Structured Credit Investor (subscription) October 24, 2014Short-biased credit fund launchedStructured Credit Investor (subscription)The Nexus strategy aims to take advantage of such circumstances by shorting bonds of companies that pursue shareholder-friendly activities. The fund may also incorporate long equity positions of the same issuers in order to benefit from stock appreciation ...
- Hedge Funds and Position Crowding - AllAboutAlpha.com (blog) October 24, 2014Hedge Funds and Position CrowdingAllAboutAlpha.com (blog)Before fees, the HFRX Global Investable index was down over 4%, while the Equity Long/Short and Event-Driven sectors were down 5% and over 7%, respectively (note that the reported losses are lessened by the reversal of accrued performance fees). The average alternative multi-manager mutual fund (genera […]
- Thinking a bear market is coming is not so absurd - MarketWatch October 23, 2014MarketWatchThinking a bear market is coming is not so absurdMarketWatch... Advisers LLC, a registered investment advisory firm that managed equity portfolios for large institutional clients. In 2007, he launched his own long/short hedge fund, using various trading strategies focused on taking advantage of stock market anomalies.and more »
- Looking Under the Hood of Alternative Bond Funds - ThinkAdvisor October 24, 2014
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.